Monday, November 23, 2015

Gypped by Lumber Yard

I ordered about 700' of 1x4 for door casing. Like all lumber, the actual dimension is less than indicated, so a 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 x 3 1/2, and similarly a 1x4 should be 3/4" x 3 1/2". When I assembled my first header I realized it was off a bit, by an 1/16". I measured the thickness and it's just a hair over 5/8", not 3/4". It seems the lumber yards like to save money by giving you less wood, those cheats!!! It's not very noticeable and actually has the property of being a bit more flexible to conform to jamb/wall irregularities. Still I'm steamed that I asked specifically about the dimensions. I should have measured and rejected it on the truck. I found that the original casing is 1/32" off 3/4" so maybe you never get an exact 3/4" in the primed stuff.

Here you can see the difference of 1/16"


No comments:

Post a Comment