Monday, July 24, 2017

Baseboards over carpet

I'm finishing a guest room with new baseboards and doors. This room will have carpet installed so I'm installing the baseboards off the floor to allow clearance for the carpet to be tucked under. This provides a much nicer aesthetic, allowing the carpet to flow under the base.

To do this I've cut scrap trim at 7/16" on a table saw (exactly 7/16"!), then chop into 3 or so inch segments to use as spacers. I've read 3/8" seems to be the standard but no one says anything about the carpet thickness, so how can 3/8" work for all carpet? I opted for 7/16" since I will have a 1/2" pad and moderately thick carpet. You have to be careful that if your floor isn't even that you don't end up with 1/2" or higher gaps in areas or you would see gaps between the base and carpet. The base I'm using is 4.5" and doesn't like to bend much, although it will some, but my floors were mostly level so wasn't much on an issue.


I paint the base before installing so I don't have to cut in the paint along the wall. On sawhorses I sand and prime (oil base) the base. Then I paint one coat on the entire base and  second coat on just the top, where it meets the wall. After installing the base I just need to fill the nail holes, sand and spot paint. Then I paint one final coat on the entire base, except of course where it meets the wall. I really like this approach, with the only downside being that the base can have some slight gaps between the wall in places, but mostly it's tight and the perfect line (no paint spilling onto wall) makes it worth it, along with time savings in not having to cut in. For the next paint job it will get caulked to fill in any gaps and painted as typical. Also, for the corners and where it meets door trim, I can caulk to the wall but it's very subtle and again I think worth it


No comments:

Post a Comment