Saturday, December 29, 2012

Today I Learned How to Spell "Escutcheon"

After the bathroom was painted I noticed how dingy the toilet water supply valve looked. I went to Home Depot to get a replacement where I learned from the helpful plumbing department guy that I wouldn't be able to get the escutcheon plate off because of the copper compression ring. As it turns out, the compression ring is exceedingly difficult to remove for the average DIYer. I wanted to put on a nice new shiny escutcheon plate, not one that is split (so it can be put on without taking off valve). The guy in the plumbing department show me a new style of push connect valve. This type of valve is available from BrassCraft and Sharkbite. BTW, these cost about $5 more than the compression nut style valve. I also wanted a nice 1/4 turn ball valve instead of the older (oval turn knob) turn-forever-and-leak style. To put this on I had to cut the pipe just behind the old compression ring. I used a $6 cheapo pipe cutter. I sanded the pipe to remove the burrs and get it nice and shiny. Before replacing the new valve body I spray foamed the wall cavity because the pipe was loose. After the great stuff foam dried, it was very secure. Now I could slide on the new escutcheon plate. The valve simply slides on, but with firm pressure. NOTE: YOU MUST PUSH IT ON 1-1/8". Mark the pipe to make sure it's fully on. If not you could have a catastrophic failure and flood your house. Once on, a plastic nut slides in place to keep it tight. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I'd guess it uses water pressure to compress against the pipe. I bought two and one was defective and simply wouldn't go the full 1 1/8". I got a new one and it slid on perfectly, actually going a bit more than 1-1/8". I turned on the water main with my wife watching it to check for leaks. One side note about this style is the valve body rotates freely about the pipe. Now if I ever need to put on a new escutcheon plate in the future, I can easily pop this off and replace, granted it'll be years and years before I touch again, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment